Monday, August 8, 2011

Just look at this Cactus Garden

My friend Kathy has this fabulous Prickly Pear Cactus garden in her front yard
I am in love with it.  It is easy to take care of and blooms in mid summer....I was dying to start one of my own.
So she gave me some cuttings and a pair of heavy gloves
 Apparently, all you have to do is take some cuttings and let them calcify at the ends....then stick them in the ground and you have a cactus garden....we'll see....
I was surprised that you could even grow a 
cactus garden in New York but she has a great sunny spot right next to her cobblestone walk way.  She has surrounded the cactus with stones that keep the warmth in.
 It fills up with so many buds and is so 
beautiful when it blooms
 
 She started this garden about 6 or 7 years ago 
with one tiny little cactus
I am hoping to be at least half as successful!

2 comments:

  1. So how does she keep them during the winter? How cold is it there - I thought you had snow. I am really curious about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't do anything....they just lay down flat in winter....and boy did we have snow this winter and in the spring they pop back up again.

    ReplyDelete

I am always thrilled to receive comments and read every single one of them!